Mr A of South Wales…
Mr A worked for several companies as a fitter. He worked in boiler houses and used a hammer to remove asbestos lagging from pipework in order to carry out repairs.
When working in a steel works he brought goosenecks into his workshop for re-jointing. He used a grinder to remove the asbestos jointing and he was not told that asbestos was potentially fatal.
He was not supplied with a mask and no attempts were made to reduce the amounts of dust to which he was exposed.
In 2004 he began to develop back pain. He was referred to a hospital and diagnosed with mesothelioma in February 2005. 5 months later he died.
His widow continued the claim that he began. It was finally settled shortly before trial for £150,000.00.